Thursday, April 25, 2013

The Power of Guilt

This past week at the grocery store, we have been selling scratch-off tickets at the register. All proceeds from the tickets go towards cancer research. So after I finish a customers transaction I have to ask "Would you like to donate a dollar to cancer research?". This experience has actually led me to observe the power of guilt.

Nobody can just say no. A no is always followed by an excuse.  I've heard things like "I'm a teacher so I give money all the time." or "My (insert family member here) had cancer so I regularly give money to cancer related causes". I've heard long stories about personal battles with cancer. Some customers get angry. How dare I insinuate that they are bad human beings?! Just to clarify I only ask. I do not give any indication of my personal opinion in the matter. It's almost like they are trying to prove they are a good person. I don't know if they are trying to prove it to me or themselves but all the same the guilt is obvious.  Sadly this has been the highlight of my shifts lately. I, the lowly grocery store clerk, hold all the power. I can guilt customers into donating or make them justify why they did not.

(Update on my plan to get in shape. I went running today. It was hard at first because it's obviously been a while, but I enjoyed it.  It was a beautiful day out and the beach was so relaxing. I also drank more water today and only had one glass of soda at dinner. I would say Day 1 was a success.)

No comments:

Post a Comment