Monday, April 29, 2013

A Nerd's Fun Weekend

I had an eventful weekend. It was mix of fun and work. I will just briefly mention that I missed two days of blogging, but did I mention it was a busy weekend?! BSDA (Blog Some Days in April) people!!

Friday I worked until seven so I still got to enjoy my night. My friends and I went to trivia. We came in second place, but we were proud of our effort. Our arch-nemesis, The Springfield Isotopes, came in first. They win most nights, which is why we consider them our arch-nemesis. I wouldn't be able to identify any member of their team except for one man, who we call "the Penguin" (he looks like the Penguin from Batman). They are worthy opponents. Recently they went to World Tavern Trivia's National Championship, so us scoring a close second to them says something about our team. 

After trivia we played an old Jeopardy board game. My one friend bought it at a thrift shop. During my period of unemployment, I grew very addicted to Jeopardy. My friends and I began to watch it every night. I know super lame. But I love the show and trivia so this was fun for us. We took turns being Alex. The game even came with these cheap buzzers. They were a source of argument because at different times during the night someone always felt like their buzzer wasn't being heard.We ended up playing until like three in the morning.

Saturday I worked at the frozen yogurt shop in the morning and at the grocery store at night. It was nice out so the frozen yogurt place was pretty crowded. It was nice to finally interact with customers. Saturday, surprisingly,  is a known slow day at a grocery store. I actually prefer it to be busy. When it's slow time moves so slowly I die of boredom.

Sunday was my day off so my only plan was to visit a potential summer room rental. Earlier in the week I had signed up to give out surveys at Newsies, but I was listed as an alternate. With my last internship, I was added to a list of volunteers who hand out surveys at Broadway shows and in return get to see the show for free. In the Winter I did it twice and it was fun. What they do is email you the show and the dates they are administrating surveys and you email back if you are available. Since there are only a few slots available, you don't always get picked. Because of my work schedule I haven't been able to do the last couple surveys.

Since I was the alternate and thinking that nobody would back out of doing it, I had scheduled to see the room at 12pm on Sunday. I wake up to an email saying someone called in sick. I had to be at the theater by 2pm for the 3pm matinee. To make it on time I would have to take the 12:06 train. So I quickly called the landlord and asked if I could come early and got dressed in five minutes. The landlord showed us two houses he owns and rents out. The one house was with all male tenants so he didn't think that would be a good fit for me. The second house was a seven bedroom old house that was a perfect location. It was fully furnished and the rooms were nice sizes. (Also I had actually already been in the house three years ago for a friend of a friends party.) All the other tenants are college/grad students or people in their early 20's. Basically everything is perfect about the place except for the price. It's a little more expensive then I wanted to spend. So I'm stressing out a little. I'm debating the pros and cons.

 After seeing the room I went straight to the train station to head into the city. Giving out surveys consist of you approaching audience members trying to convince them to fill out surveys about audience demographic. During intermission and after the show we collect the surveys. When the show is about to start, the house manager gives the survey team any seats that are available. I got a great seat in the second row center balcony. The show was fun. The best part was the dance choreography. The dancers are full of energy and work so hard.  One of the perks of handing out surveys is that we get to see behind the scenes. Today we were in the theater when they were warming up and practicing a fight scene that's in the show. Handing out surveys is a great (cheap) way to see a Broadway show.

That was my busy weekend filled with trivia, work, and Broadway. Basically it was a fun weekend for a nerd like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment