Wednesday, May 1, 2013

'Tis The Season for Tony Nominations

*If you have no interest in theater then you should probably just skip this post.

Today is like Christmas morning for theater nerds everywhere. They set their alarms to wake up early and watch the Tony Award nominations announced. This year, I was a bad theater nerd and didn't wake up for the announcement. But once I did wake up, I eagerly got on Twitter to see the nominees and what everyone was saying about them. (Twitter is great for that.) Click here for a list of this seasons nominees.

What I've taken away from the announcements is that there are still so many shows I need to see! (Even though I've been lucky enough to see a good deal of shows this season what with my internship and family.) Many of the shows I saw were during the fall and they didn't get as much recognition as the spring shows. My favorite show that I saw so far this season, Mystery of Edwin Drood, was nominated for Best Revival of a Musical and so were the two lead performers, Stephanie J. Block and Will Chase (who definitely both deserve it). I was happy to see that show get noticed.

Leading the nominations are two shows that I have yet to see, Kinky Boots and Matilda. Both shows were actually not on my top shows to see this season. They just didn't appeal to me even though they are the top shows this season. Especially Matilda. (I've decided that little kids singing just doesn't do it for me. ) I'm thinking Matilda might be like my experience with Billy Elliot. I had no desire to see the show and I saw it way later in it's run, but I ended up really liking it.

The show I most want to see out of the nominated shows is Pippin. That show has always been on my list of things to see on Broadway. I've being hearing good things about this production and I always love Stephen Schwartz music!

Overall this season was a disappointing one for the Great White Way. There weren't many new works. It was a season for revivals. And even though I love the chance to see something that I originally missed, new musicals are my favorite. I like going into a show knowing nothing and being surprised.

I am really excited for the Tony Awards this June. And I hope to be able to see more shows before then!

No comments:

Post a Comment